Thursday, February 2, 2012

Music - Kenny G and the Romance of the Saxophone

For all of us musical philistines the first sound of the saxophone is very seductive. This is the kind of soft, romantic music one hears in the soft hallways of five star hotels, of air conditioned places, the sound that seems to belong to sunsets and beaches and so on. It was truly exotic to hear that sound.

So when I first heard 'Songbird' by Kenny G in the later 80s, it was truly an awesome experience. I had heard this music before, many times, its a popular piece of music and I was so glad that I finally discovered the maker of this wonderful piece of music. I tarted connecting the music, the instrument and the wonderful mood it evoked. I bought myself many Kenny G cassettes and loved listening to all of them but the 'Songbird' remains an all time favorite. In isolation, with dim lights, a drink in hand, leaning back against the wall and letting the music seep in. Or with the kind of company that equally enjoyed the music in isolation. 'Songbird' filled many moments of isolation with peace, romance and love. For that, a huge thanks to Kenny G. A link to the video of the song.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xlfnedlb7iU

2 comments:

Dr. Ranjani said...

Hari - you have revived many memories with this song!

Harimohan said...

Thanks Ranjani. Kenny G has special memories for me too. Its been a project I have been wanting to do for a long time - writing the memories, people and feelings associated with songs and music. Thanks to the blog, I can do it at my own pace. But there is much and I do want to do up the series fast as I can.