Sunday, December 8, 2013

Stardust Memories - Movie Review

Shot entirely in black and white, it is the story of a successful filmmaker who is constantly hounded by his fans who give him unnecessary advise and feedback such as 'I like you early films, they were so funny'. The director, played by Woody Allen, is a lot like Woody perhaps, and the film shows him trying to make sense of his life, his changing tastes and preferences and his former and current loves.

The way fans barge into his private space is hilarious and in the same breath not-so-funny because you get a taste of a celebrity's life. Stuck with the image of his funny films he is frustrated that the fans do not take his other work seriously. It is apparently a parody of Fellini's 8 1/2 and addresses the angst of a creative person seeking to expand himself and his work and the way his environment acts on him.

I did my best to make sense of it all and what Woody was trying to get across but I missed it all. Will I go back and try to understand it? No. I'll give this one a miss and look for his funny movies.

No comments: