Sunday, January 12, 2014

Anjali - Interview With a Six and A Half Year Old

We caught up for our six monthly interview. This time Anjali was not only keen, she was egging me on to do the interview. The replies were long and much thought went into them to make them comprehensive for me.

Q. How's life?
A. Good. Interesting. Different year now, 2014. From January 1, till today. Actually it was a fun time from January 1 till today. I hope it goes that way for the rest of the year. I wish everyone also is happy and get all things in their life.

Q. What's interesting in life?
A. Most interesting are the new things. Playing badminton.
I actually got the hang of getting up and playing even when I fall or get hurt. Sometimes I get a cut also. It's like I have to play. That's all I want to say.

Q. Where did you learn this?
A. You. You only told me. When I fell down. While playing football.

Q. It's interesting?
A. Because I am learning to do something new.

Q. Why?
A. Because it helps me to continue playing. Or I will stop everything. So the fun stops. The laughing stops. The energy stops. It's just a little pain. 2 minutes, it will go. So keep on playing.

Q. What if the pain is too much?
A. See. If it's bleeding just a dot, then I can play. If it is a big one, then I can't play.

Q. What are the fun things?
A. Learning how to skip. So much fun doing that. My birthday last year went on great. I didn't know why. Chimu anna was blowing balloons and removing it. That was my favorite thing on my birthday.

Q. Other things?
A. Getting new books. Mamma saw something - 365 stories for boys. Then I found 365 stories for girls.
Then Mamma said she was also looking for the same thing.

Q. What makes you happy?
A. Sitting down in the courtyard. Airy. Happy thing.
Painting - all my memories, all my friends and family.
Having fun with my family an friends. Watching a favorite show or doing something I love to do with them.
For example I love Mythily atta. And when I play with her and with my dolls it makes me extra happy.

Q. What about school?
A. Aerobics first. Though sir is saying I'm not doing well, I think I am doing it well.
Holidays I like. Now in Sanktanti holidays, all of my holidays I will spend the days doing exactly what I like. I got these holidays after I thought so much about them.
I like school. I like going. Meeting my friends. Kung Fu.
I like skating too. But somehow I like Kung Fu. Kung Fu sir says he will teach me how to break things next year. I don't know how but my interest is growing each day. On the first day I didn't want Kung Fu, now I only want Kung Fu.
I love all my teachers. They teach me so hard. I learn, remember, read it and write it. I have to learn it for my sake. Not for teacher's sake. So it makes me intelligent when I grow up.

Q. What makes you angry?
A. With Harsh and Dharini at school. Slight anger. I want to play with Harsh. But Dharini pulls me there. Doesn't she understand? I even told akka about it. That's one small anger I get.
Other thing is when I do small mistakes I don't feel angry. But when Mamma shouts at me I get a little anger. But I can't show it. Because then she'll shout even more. So I don't.
I hope mamma is not hearing now.

Q. What makes you sad?
A. Most people know I have two friends. Harsh and Manasi. When one of them goes away fro 2 or 3 days I feel sad. When Chimu anna goes its ok. He's busy anyway. I can't force him. But my friends go and I feel bad. Even when I go away. Or when I fall sick. Today that happened. Harsh went away for the whole week, Manasi for one day. So I'm happy she'll be back. When she comes I'll be half happy. Makes sad into happiness. When Harsh comes I will be fully happy.

Q. What's happiness?
A. What makes us happy. Makes us smile. When we are seeing people. What we are doing with them. Makes us smile. That is happiness. It makes us laugh. So I love happiness. I love laughing.

Q. Why don't you like sadness?
A. It makes me sad. When others come they also become sad. That's why I don't like it. Even when I am sad. I don't like them being sad. I don't like making others sad.
If I could make a list, happiness is first. Sadness is at the end. I don't like sadness.

Q. If god asked you any 3 things what would you ask for?
A. I'd wish for something that never never leaves. Something I'll always keep with me.  Want them to be always with me.
A book. My favorite book. Amar Chitra Katha. Anything that teaches me something. I'd ask for a game.
A shop with all the things I like - Tinkle, game that are difficult and make my mind work. gives my mind a boost.

Q. What don't you like doing?
A. (She thought about it and gave up)

Q. Favorite books?
A. 365 stories for girls, Bal Kand, Mr. Messy
Sunnie mama bought me big books. I didn't buy them

Q. New movies?
A. (Again, she thought about it and gave up.)

Q. Who do you like spending time with?
A. Mythily atta, Manasi, Harsh, Mamma, Nanna, Baba, Satish mama...

Q. What do you think of yourself?
A. I feel I am healthy. In fact I'm an okay type of a girl. Normal girl that lives in the city. Though I feel I am healthy I don't know why I get cold and cough. So I think I am doing something wrong. So I am correcting myself to be healthy.

Q. Can I ask you the god question again? If you were to ask god for one thing what would it be?
A. Live a lovely, long life.

Q. What is lovely?
A. Healthy. Long. Living life. Joyful life.

Q. What do you think of money?
A. It helps us get our food, be heathy. Buy things. We can make it on our own, so we can live a pleasant life. Whenever you have money, collect money. If you don't have a money box put it in any container. So you don't run out of money if you save money. That's why I have so many piggy banks.

Q. How can we be happy?
A. Do something you like. Something you love. Want to do. Then you'll be happy. Do it with them. Love that person. Like that person. Trust that person. Do it, or play with them. Help. Or share.

Q. What things scare you?
A. Chimu anna. Scary jackets. He'll tell me all scary things.

Q. When did you laugh the most?
A. When you went out Mamma was making funny faces. I laughed the loudest. in 2014. On January 8 or 9.  It happened 2 times.

Q. What was the most beautiful thing you saw?
A. Tree. Blooming with purple. I didn't even know that there were purple trees. Somewhere in the colony. When I was walking to the nearby park.

Q. Anything else you want to add?
A. No

Q. Sankranti plans?
A. Spend time with friends. Go out with my friends. Out of this city - slightly. Some nearby place like a beach.

Me: Thank you Anjali or the interview.

Anjali: Can I talk about the interview?
Interview is the thing I wanted to do. I like answering questions. I like to do it with my Dad.

Q. Why?
A. Because he is good on the computer. and funny.

So ended my interview with Anjali. I loved her advise on saving money. I think I'll follow that. Also on being happy - do what you love. With people you love and trust.

She was keen to go on but I could not think of too many questions to ask. Also, my hand was aching from too much writing. She really seemed keen on talking and sharing and explaining her view of the world in a most earnest and serious manner. Thanks Anjali for the insights and the interview.

No comments: